Intense toothache can be a sign of infection or decay within the tooth pulp. In this case, your dentist may recommend an endodontic root canal treatment. This involves removing the damaged tooth pulp (and sometimes the nerve) and sealing it off to prevent future contamination.
Bundoora Family Dental Clinic is a leading root canal specialist in Melbourne’s North East suburbs. Our practice offers highly-trained dentists and state-of-the-art technology to ensure a safe, gentle and effective procedure.
When Should You Seek Root Canal Therapy?
The tooth pulp is the soft tissue in the centre of a tooth that contains the nerve, blood vessels and connective tissue. When it decays or becomes infected, the resulting inflammation can cause severe pain that requires an immediate dental root canal treatment.
Aside from an intense toothache, symptoms of a tooth pulp infection include:
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Tenderness or swelling of the gums near the tooth
- Darkening of the tooth
- Blood or pus near the tooth
- A small bump on the gums near the tooth
The root canal therapy procedure usually takes place over two or more visits and involves a number of steps. These include:
- Administration of local anaesthetic
- Your root canal dentist removes the damaged pulp
- Cleaning of the tooth
- Filling and sealing of the tooth to protect against future contamination and pain
- Following the dental root canal treatment, a crown may be placed over the treated tooth for optimal protection
Make an Appointment Today
Our Melbourne root canal specialist services patients from across the North East suburbs, including Bundoora, Greensborough, Watsonia, Rosanna, Mill Park, Heidelberg, Ivanhoe, Macleod, Reservoir, Lalor, Mernda and South Morang. To make an appointment, please complete our online booking form or give us a call on (03) 9467 7433.